The 35th Annual Film Independent Spirit Awards took place in the city of Los Angeles in California. This awards event celebrates the achievement of independent filmmakers which have created great films without large budgets.
Every year the event is attended by hundreds of the biggest actors in the industry, film enthusiasts and also journalists with the awards evening having a strong presence on social media platforms such as YouTube where they have over 40,000 subscribers.
In this article, we are going to be telling you all that you need to know about this independent awards show as well as a detailed backstory about how it all started.
Who Were the Celebrities That Attended the Independent Spirit Awards?
Despite this being an independent awards event, it is one of the biggest independent film awards events in the world, and therefore it is still able to attract the biggest celebrities and figures in the film industry.
- Jennifer Lopez, an American actress, and singer that is one of the most successful Latino figures in the entertainment industry in the United States. Lopez was also the first Latino actress to earn $1 million for starring in a movie.
- Shia LaBeouf, an actor from the United States who first came to prominence after appearing in protagonist roles in the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and also the Dark of the Moon sequel, he has also starred in Indiana Jones.
- Idina Menzel, an American actress and singer that started off her career by appearing in prominent musicals such as Wicked, most of the films that Menzel has appeared have strong musical influences such as Glee and Disney’s Frozen.
- Rachel Brosnahan, an American actress who has appeared in multiple well-known films such as Louder Than Bombs, The Finest Hours and Spies in Disguise. She is also the winner of multiple Emmy and Golden Globe Awards.
- Renée Zellweger, an actress turned film producer, Zellweger for portraying Adriana Masters on Hollywood Heights (2012), Summer Newman on The Young and the Restless (2012 present) and Clementine Hughes on Life in Pieces (2015-2019). Renée is best known for roles in prominent 1990s films such as Jerry Maguire and Me, Myself and Irene.
- Zazie Beetz, an American-German actress who is best known for starring in the popular television show Atlanta, which is about two cousins trying to make it in the rap industry.
- Billie Lourd, an American actress who is also the daughter of Carrie Fisher, who played the role of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Laura Dern, an American actress, and film director who is a real film and TV veteran having appeared in over 50 major productions such as Lonely Hearts, I Am Sam and Inland Empire.
- Scarlett Johansson, an American actress, and singer who as of 2018 is the highest-paid female actress in the entire world, worldwide the films that Johansson has starred in have grossed $14.3 billion as of writing this article.
- St. Vincent, a singer, and producer who started off her career in the music industry during the early 2000s with her major songs charting the top 10 of the Billboard record charts.
- Mindy Kaling, an American comedian, and actress that has starred in big movies such as The 40-Year-Old Virgin, License to Wed and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian.
- Hunter King, an actress from America who started off her acting career during her teenage years in films such as Hollywood Heights, Summer Newman as well as The Young and the Restless television show.
- Aubrey Plaza, an American actress, and comedian that has appeared mostly in comedy films such as Dirty Grandpa, Life After Beth and Child’s Play.
- Amber Heard, an actress originally from Texas but now based in California, Heard has appeared in multiple major films such as The Informers and Justice League.
How Did the Independent Spirit Awards Start?
Originally, they were founded in the year 1985, but it was not called the Annual Film Independent Spirit Awards, but it was instead known as Friends of Independents Awards.
Until 2006, the awards evening gave out glass trophies on purpose in order to represent the hardship of making a great film on a low budget like the majority of independent films have to do. Now, however, the statue has been changed to use a metal alloy material instead of being made from glass.
Over time this event has become one of the most popular awards evenings, and it is always held one day before the Academy Awards evening which is another awards evening that celebrates the achievements of both major studios and independent filmmakers.
Where Are the Independent Spirit Awards Held?
Famously the Independent Spirit Awards are held in a massive tent located in a parking lot the Santa Monica neighborhood in Los Angeles in the state of California, the United States.
Although the event could be held somewhere else, the location is symbolic as it is supposed to represent the hardships and sacrifices independent filmmakers have to go through in order to make their ideas into reality.
Also read the post: World Premiere of “The Call of the Wild” at the El Capitan Theatre, Los Angeles, USA